[Exim] EST vs US/Eastern Timezone setting

Author: Mark T. Valites
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] EST vs US/Eastern Timezone setting
Since I cut over to Exim this past Satuday, I've been watching my Exim
logs quite a bit. Somehow or another, I managed to miss that the timestamp
on all the log entries was off by an hour until just today.

I'm running Exim-4.34/Exiscan-4.34-22 on Solaris 9 (4/04 release), with
all patches up to date as of two weeks ago.

In my Local/Makefile, I specified:

TIMEZONE_DEFAULT=EST

Section 19.5 (Timestamps) of the Exim book on page 439 tells me setting
'timezone = EST' will give me Eastern Standard Time, so I used that for
the Makefile default setting. I now realize I could have left it out and
had the build pick up my TZ environment variable, but at the time I
figured I'd put it in explicitely anyways.

In the rev of solaris I'm using, TZ is set to US/Eastern, not EST, and
setting 'timezone = US/Eastern' in my config file gives me correct
timestamps.

I'm not overly familiar with the intricacies of Unix timestamps, or even
really sure this is an error - is this the fault of my OS or a small bug?

--
Mark T. Valites
Unix Systems Analyst