Re: [Exim] "non-printing character 27"

Author: Nathan Ollerenshaw
To: Kjetil Torgrim Homme
CC: Exim users list
Subject: Re: [Exim] "non-printing character 27"
On Aug 6, 2004, at 5:16 PM, Kjetil Torgrim Homme wrote:

> UTF-8 to the rescue! is UTF-8 deployment in Japan rare?

For mail, yup. Most people use Shift_JIS or iso-2022-jp still. Most
mobile phones, for example, still don't understand UTF-8.

> headers_charset = UTF-8 and ${rfc2047:$header_} works fine in my
> environment. there are some clients which only understands Latin-1,
> but
> I don't have much sympathy for such out-moded software.
>
> you never explained why you wanted to remove the newlines, btw?

Oh. Because exim would complain that 'non-printing character 10' was in
the message. Stripping it out fixes it.

In any case, getting Exim to decode/recode the subject line is a bad
idea. This way any encoding problems can be blamed on the sending mail
client .. and you can be pretty sure that whatever the user sends, the
reply will have a subject that they can read :)

Nathan.

--
Nathan Ollerenshaw - UNIX Systems Engineer
ValueCommerce - http://www.valuecommerce.ne.jp/