[Exim] Writing uniform Message-IDs

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: J.D. (Jack) Bitters
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: exim-users
Aihe: [Exim] Writing uniform Message-IDs
Almost a converted Postfix user testing Exim 4.41 (no Exiscan) on a
Slackware 10 box (sweet).

Understand that it is up to the MUA to write the Message-ID.
Unfortunately, in our case different MUAs write different (or no)
Message-IDs. Looking for:

    <[maybe date and time][random characters]@fqdn>

Thought that there had to be a way that Exim, like Postfix, would
automatically add a Message-ID to outgoing messages in those instances
where (a) there was no original Message-ID, or (b) where the original
Message-ID header was intentionally removed.

Read the Spec and discovered that it just ain't so (except under very
limited circumstances -- messages received through the Sendmail alias
only).

Googling gave me half an answer.

Here are the two settings that I finally added at the end of the dnslookup
router (before "no_more") to accomplish my goal:

    headers_remove = Message-ID
#
    headers_add = Message-ID: <E$message_id@$primary_hostname>

(Thank you Tor Slettnes http://slett.net/spam-filtering-for-mx/index.html
for the last setting [although not exactly related to what I was looking
for it did furnish half the answer].)

Anyways, now it works like a champ -- all Message-IDs are uniform.

Will these two settings result in buggy behavior, burn up the
motherboard, melt the polar ice caps, or am I safe?

Thank you in advance!

Jack