Re: [Exim] MailScanner

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Nigel Metheringham
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: ListServ
Kopio: exim-users
Aihe: Re: [Exim] MailScanner
On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 13:23, ListServ wrote:
> Is anyone using MailScanner with exim? Just wondering how people are
> liking/disliking.

MailScanner is an offline content scanner (at least it is with exim, it
can do online scanning I believe if you use sendmail). Since it is
offline, this means you cannot do SMTP time rejection of spam/malware,
so you are restricted to either dropping spam/malware or marking it and
passing it onward. [You can make it fake bounces or send NDRs, but this
just means you send mail to address you gained from a source which is
likely to be forging them - so you 3rd party spam someone else. At
least MailScanner comes with sensible defaults although idiot
administrators often override these].

My personal view is that content scanning should be done at reception
time (ie within the SMTP transaction) and unwanted stuff rejected then.
This means that you need exiscan for exim or some other system that runs
in the local_scan() section of exim.

If there is a means of running MailScanner with exim at SMTP time then
please correct me.

    Nigel.