[Exim] pipelining, ratware, and crapware

Author: Tony Finch
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] pipelining, ratware, and crapware
http://www.exim.org/pipermail/exim-users/Week-of-Mon-20040628/073377.html

Philip suggested that I might get better interoperability w.r.t. error
reporting from Outlook if I turn off PIPELINING. I tried that this
afternoon, partly because of Philip's suggestion, and partly as an
experiment to see it was good at tripping up spammers and viruses
in conjunction with smtp_enforce_sync.

However it turns out that at least one MUA doesn't implement the protocol
correctly and fails to send email successfully, so I had to revert the
change. Bah, etc.

Perhaps it would be nice to only enforce_sync selectively, but sadly I
can't do that because the configuration setting isn't expanded.

Has anyone else experimented with these settings? Any interesting results?

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch <dot@???> http://dotat.at/
BERWICK ON TWEED TO WHITBY: WEST OR SOUTHWEST 2 OR 3 INCREASING 3 OR 4. FAIR.