Re: [Exim] Checking for valid accounts in a mail from relays

Autor: Andrey Tverdokhleb
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Checking for valid accounts in a mail from relays
On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 20:56:16 +0100, Tim Jackson <lists@???> wrote:
> > In short - to pass there should be at least one legal destination in
> > DATA segment fields and I want to specify these legal destinations in
> > a file as list or pattern.
>
> Have you checked if your upstream relay adds an Envelope-To: header? You
> could filter based on that using a condition in the DATA ACL.

It doesn't, that was a first thing I checked.

> *BUT* (and this is a big but) this is addressing the *wrong* *problem*.
> The real problem is that your upstream relay is accepting invalid
> addresses! Even if you manage to successfully filter it, you will simply
> be moving the problem onto someone else - because your upstream relay will
> generate bounces which will quite possibly end up in the mailbox of some
> innocent person who had their address forged by a spammer.

I know, my intent was just to silently move such message to /dev/null
and store it there :)

> So, talk to whoever runs the relay and sort out the problem there. If it's
> some rubbish company that only let you do all-or-nothing forwarding, then
> move to someone who gives you more control.

The company is no good, but at least I don't need to pay extra for
mail forwarding, so before I change something in my MX record I'd
rather try to fix it on my side. And in theory it doesn't look very
complex, problem is that I don't see a way to do this in exim.

Andrey