Re: [Exim] Checking for valid accounts in a mail from relays

Autor: Tim Jackson
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Checking for valid accounts in a mail from relays
Hi Andrey, on Thu, 29 Jul 2004 10:27:01 -0700 you wrote:

> I'm getting some my mail from a mail relay as forward *@mydomain.my to
> myname@???. I.e. I have mapping - all mail for some
> domain to one specific email address. Obviously with this scheme
> envelope receiver's information is getting changed on the relay and I
> cannot filter out invalid accounts any more with regular methods

[snip]
> In short - to pass there should be at least one legal destination in
> DATA segment fields and I want to specify these legal destinations in
> a file as list or pattern.

Have you checked if your upstream relay adds an Envelope-To: header? You
could filter based on that using a condition in the DATA ACL.

*BUT* (and this is a big but) this is addressing the *wrong* *problem*.
The real problem is that your upstream relay is accepting invalid
addresses! Even if you manage to successfully filter it, you will simply
be moving the problem onto someone else - because your upstream relay will
generate bounces which will quite possibly end up in the mailbox of some
innocent person who had their address forged by a spammer.

So, talk to whoever runs the relay and sort out the problem there. If it's
some rubbish company that only let you do all-or-nothing forwarding, then
move to someone who gives you more control.

Tim