Re: [Exim] What is better OS for Exim

Author: Walt Reed
To: Peter Evans
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] What is better OS for Exim
On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 09:33:05AM +0900, Peter Evans said:
> Walt Reed (exim@???) wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 12:32:36PM +0100, Jeyanolipavan, Raviraj said:
> > > This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
> > > Currently we are using 3 SUN Ultra10's.
> > > Which are heavily loaded, as our mails filtered through Message labs,
> > > which only send mail to one Hub? With one fallback
>
> > In any case, you need to find exactly where your performance issues are.
> > Are they disk, memory, CPU, etc... Spend your money on the part that is
> > the problem now.
>
>     U10's are IDE and I think its PIO mode too, the disks are very ...
>     sedate. You can put a fire breathing 80gb drive in there and it will
>     make NO difference.

Well, Exactly. Drop in a SCSI card then. Problem solved. You just made
my point. I know all about the U10. I have one sitting next to me.
Anyway, my point remains. The OP needs to understand where his
performance problems are comming from. Maybe he only has 256M ram or
something - we don't know and he didn't seem to either.

>     Please kids, less of the drooling linux advocacy, that belongs
>     in kindergarten. Exim is an MTA, it works on pretty much every
>     flavour of UNIX out there. If your TOASTER ran UNIX, it would
>     work there.[1]

If you are going to flame, read the post first. Notice the part where I
mentioned Solaris x86... Notice also that I didn't blindly tell the guy
to replace his box with a linux machine but instead suggested looking at
where his performance problems are. Solaris includes great tools to find
this.

Of course you snipped much of that out of my post for some reason. I
would suggest including some useful information instead of pure
defensive flaming of your favorite platform - it would have been more
useful to the OP. Calling someone "kid" is pretty offensive - but that
seemed to be your goal.