Re: [Exim] Message: "result of an earlier callout reused"

Autor: Bill Moseley
A: Exim users list
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Message: "result of an earlier callout reused"
Sorry to be running this into the ground, but just want to make sure
there's not a bug in Exim that might be causing this.

On Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 09:49:52PM +0100, Alan J. Flavell wrote:
> I dimly recall a bug in callout cacheing in a version of exim. Have
> you checked the changes log for fixes applied after whatever version
> you're running?

I'm running

    $ /usr/sbin/exim4 -bV | grep version
    Exim version 4.34 #1 built 04-Jun-2004 14:06:09

and I looked through the two change logs for 4.40 and 4.41 and nothing
jumped out.

Digging better into my logs I'm seeing a few failures from apache.org
that include details of a SMTP callout rejection. All are "503 MAIL
first":

rejectlog.12.gz:2004-07-14 23:38:54 H=(minotaur.apache.org) [209.237.227.194] sender verify fail for <dev-return-8076-apmail-moseley=apache.org@???>: response to "HELO hank.org" from mail.apache.org [209.237.227.199] was: 503 MAIL first

But I have no detailed reject logs for the *specific* addresses that
are failing (and I get detailed bounce info from apache.org). I.e. I'm
not seeing the original SMTP logging of the callout failure even
though Exim is reporting "result of an earlier callout reused".

That makes me wonder about a problem with Exim's caching.

The callout cache should be checking for exact addresses, not just
domains, right? Doesn't make sense to do callout caching on a full
address and if it fails reject everything from that domain. I know
that's not happening in general because only a few messages are
getting rejected my Exim -- that is, I'm still receiving mail from
those lists.

Plus, I don't see any failures in the cache for just the domain,
although maybe those have since been purged.

I'm just worried that the callout cache is rejecting when it
shouldn't.

Here's my callout:

  deny  message = Failed callout to address to <$sender_address>. $acl_verify_message\nContact postmaster+at+hank+org for help.
       !acl = acl_whitelist_local_deny
       !verify = sender/callout=20s,defer_ok

I also have not had any human comment about getting a callout cache
rejection -- so either it's due to the volume of list traffic, or
something odd with Qmail.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@???