Re: [Exim] Message: "result of an earlier callout reused"

Autor: Bill Moseley
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Message: "result of an earlier callout reused"
Let me ask this again.

ezmlm manages one of the apache.org list. Message #4584
was rejected by exim due to callout verify fail. The later bounce
message I received from apache.org said the reason was:

"result of an earlier callout reused"

But I can't figure out what was that "earlier" callout.

The message in question has an original date:

Date: 12 Jul 2004 23:21:21 -0000

And in local time:
$ perl -MTime::Local -le 'print scalar localtime( timegm(21,21,23,12,6,2004))'
Mon Jul 12 16:21:21 2004

For one thing, ezmlm has a unique message number for each message, so
there wouldn't be an earlier callout unless for the apache.org domain,
and my callout cache doesn't have that entry:

    # exim_dumpdb /var/spool/exim4 callout | grep apache.org | grep -v accept
    #

Second, I can't find the previous verify failure in my reject logs
(which go back much farther):

From the bounce:

    Remote host said: 550-Callback setup failed while verifying
    <modperl-cvs-return-4584-moseley=hank.org@???>
    550-(result of an earlier callout reused).

    moseley@mardy:~$ zgrep 4584-moseley /var/log/exim4/rejectlog*
    /var/log/exim4/rejectlog.14.gz:2004-07-12 16:21:03 H=(mail.apache.org) [209.237.227.199] sender verify fail for <modperl-cvs-return-4584-moseley=hank.org@???>
    /var/log/exim4/rejectlog.14.gz:2004-07-12 16:21:03 H=(mail.apache.org) [209.237.227.199] F=<modperl-cvs-return-4584-moseley=hank.org@???> rejected RCPT <moseley@???>: Sender verify failed

See, I don't have a previous failure for that 4584 message.

The Spec says a detailed report is given for the initial verify fail,
but I'm not finding it.

What part of the puzzle am I missing here?

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@???