Re: [Exim] Exim 4.34 Server: synchronization errors

Author: Peter Bowyer
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim 4.34 Server: synchronization errors
Ephraim Silverberg <ephraim@???> wrote:
> A user with a laptop on our local LAN tries doing:
>
>     telnet mailhost.cs.huji.ac.il 25

> It takes several minutes to respond

Probably ident - see FAQ Q0020. Is there a firewall between the user and the
server which is blocking ident traffic? Try adjusting rfc1413_hosts in the
Exim config to exclude the IP address or range where the user is coming
from. Or tell the firewall to behave better.

> and in the meantime the Exim 4.34
> server
> logs the following:
>
> SMTP protocol violation: synchronization error (input sent without
> waiting for greeting): rejected connection ...

Because the impatient human typed stuff while he/she was waiting for the
greeting banner.

Peter