Re: [Exim] hole in message_size_limit? (was: verify = heade…

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Ron
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] hole in message_size_limit? (was: verify = header_sender ...)
On Tue, 20 Jul 2004, Ron wrote:

> message_size_limit is correctly advertised in reponse to EHLO,
> and it does correctly 552 any message that exceeds that size,
> but it does so only after all bytes up to the trailing . in
> the (arbitrarily large) DATA section are received.

Well, that's all the RFC allows you to do. The server cannot respond
until the client has sent all the data. The client does not listen for a
response until it has sent all the data.

> I'm not sure what the rfc's might mandate, but it would be really
> nice if exim actually refused to receive more than that many bytes
> before issuing an error and/or forcefully closing the connection
> if neccessary.

A forceful close of the connection means that the client sees what
appears to be a network error. It will just try to send the message
again later. Is this what you want?

I see the problem, though. Perhaps there should be some kind of ultimate
backstop just to prevent a connection from being held open for ever.
Noted.

>   (and if you're not sick of hearing it, then add my +1 to
>    exim4's accolades, this is a really nice piece of work
>    and in my experience so far, a clear and painless step
>    forward from exim3 ...)

Thank you.