Re: [Exim] .forward permissions

Author: Kjetil Torgrim Homme
To: Exim users list
Subject: Re: [Exim] .forward permissions
On man, 2004-07-19 at 15:47 +0100, Alan J. Flavell wrote:
> Indeed. On our mailer we've approached the problem in a different
> way: we require the forward file to be local to the mail server. But
> because we don't let users log on to the mail server itself, we export
> the area r/w to local client nodes (e.g the login server) so that they
> can edit the file themselves.

we only have .forward in our legacy system. the new system is
completely free of NFS[1], so all information needed for e-mail routing
is put in LDAP, populated by a user administration system called
Cerebrum. users have a web interface to change the settings, which most
users find less intimidating than Emacs :-). since it's all in a
database, we can also allow local helpdesk personnel to turn off
forwarding when their user calls in. (they are however not allowed to
add new forwarding addresses.)

[1] the problem isn't NFS itself, it works well, but the fragility of
having more than 70 servers with home directories. when one of them is
down, the whole e-mail system often suffers.
--
Kjetil T.