Re: [Exim] .forward permissions

Author: Kjetil Torgrim Homme
To: T. Horsnell (tsh)
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] .forward permissions
On man, 2004-07-19 at 14:50 +0100, T. Horsnell (tsh) wrote:
> Shouldnt the
>
>    file = $home/.forward

> line fail and cause the router to decline? Or does exim distinguish
> between 'permission denied' and 'doesnt exist'?

yes. we need this in our environment, if a NFS server is down and the
automounter gives up, we get 'permission denied'. in that case, we want
to queue the message until the server is back up, since we can't know
whether the message should be forwarded or not -- sending it to spool
would be almost as bad as just dropping it, from the user's point of
view.

> Should I be using a different test here?

        ignore_eacces
        Type:  boolean
        Default:  false

        If this option is set and an attempt to open a redirection file
        yields the EACCES error (permission denied), the redirect router
        behaves as if the file did not exist.

> I dont think this problem occurred with exim 4.30 but I cant be sure
> since we only do this thing every 6 months, and I've moved to 4.32
> since the last clearout.

4.30 was broken for us, I seem to remember. :-)

--
Kjetil T.