Re: [Exim] limiting relay based on sender address

Author: Nathan Ollerenshaw
To: Kjetil Torgrim Homme
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] limiting relay based on sender address
On Jul 16, 2004, at 1:22 PM, Kjetil Torgrim Homme wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-07-16 at 12:09 +0900, Nathan Ollerenshaw wrote:
>> In addition to all the normal checks that are done to accept a mail
>> for
>> relay, I am thinking about denying relay to messages with a sender
>> domain that is not a local domain. So, if a customer decides to spam
>> and use our servers to do it, they have to use an address on our
>> system, providing a way for me to track abuse.
>>
>> Is this a good idea? Are there any potential problems doing it this
>> way?
>
> well, we have quite a few users using Hotmail addresses rather than the
> address we give them. I'd check the logs (or make an ACL which only
> logs, not denies, then check the logs) before implementing such a rule.
> I'm sure it's acceptable for many, though.

Hmm, this sounds like a better idea - making an ACL. I can then parse
the logs for someone who is sending more than 100 messages in an hour
using a non-local sender address and notify our abuse people.

Thanks for the idea :)

Nathan.

--
Nathan Ollerenshaw - Unix Systems Engineer
ValueCommerce - http://www.valuecommerce.ne.jp/