[Exim] limiting relay based on sender address

Author: Nathan Ollerenshaw
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] limiting relay based on sender address
All,

In addition to all the normal checks that are done to accept a mail for
relay, I am thinking about denying relay to messages with a sender
domain that is not a local domain. So, if a customer decides to spam
and use our servers to do it, they have to use an address on our
system, providing a way for me to track abuse.

Is this a good idea? Are there any potential problems doing it this way?

I know that there is the possibility that one customer will use another
customer's domain to spam with, but that's not a major problem as
abuse@ and postmaster@ for all the domains comes to us.

Basically, I want the system to be a 'good citizen' and not be a
contributor to spam, and if someone uses it, I want it to be easy for
victims to contact us to get the offending user punted off the system.

Are there any other recommendations that people can give me that would
help control or spot abusive customers of our system?

Nathan.

--
Nathan Ollerenshaw - Unix Systems Engineer
ValueCommerce - http://www.valuecommerce.ne.jp/