[Exim] SMTP_banner ignored in 4.34

Autor: Dan Egli
A: Exim Users
Assumpte: [Exim] SMTP_banner ignored in 4.34
Hey all. I've just encountered a weird issue. I upgraded to .34 not that
long ago. It seemed to be working fine, until I happened to be running a
routine test and telnet'ed to the smtp port. I got a standard banner:
Escape character is '^]'.
220 eglifamily.dnsalias.net ESMTP Exim 4.34 Mon, 05 Jul 2004 22:40:22 -0600

but I have my SMTP_Banner overridden as such:

SMTP_banner = "Welcome to the Egli Family mail server. Current time:
$tod_log"

It worked Fine last time I checked on it (I think it was 4.33, but could
have been .31 last time I ran this test).

There's no errors mentioned when parsing the flle:

Exim version 4.34 #1 built 01-Jul-2004 16:09:06
Copyright (c) University of Cambridge 2004
Berkeley DB: Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 4.2.52: (March 2, 2004)
Support for: iconv() IPv6 PAM Perl TCPwrappers OpenSSL
Lookups: lsearch wildlsearch nwildlsearch iplsearch cdb dbm dbmnz dnsdb
dsearch ldap ldapdn ldapm nis nis0 nisplus passwd
Authenticators: cram_md5 plaintext spa
Routers: accept dnslookup ipliteral manualroute queryprogram redirect
Transports: appendfile/maildir/mailstore/mbx autoreply lmtp pipe smtp
Fixed never_users: 0
Contains exiscan-acl patch revision 22 (c) Tom Kistner
[http://duncanthrax.net/exiscan/]
Configuration file is /etc/exim/exim.conf

Anyone got any ideas as to what's up? Why is smtp_banner being ignored?

--
-- Dan