Re: [Exim] Sender Verify

Autor: Alan J. Flavell
A: Exim-Users (E-mail)
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Sender Verify
On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, Philip Hazel wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
>
> > verify = sender
> >
> > does a routing check only, so its run through exim's routers. For
> > remote addresses this normally means its a check on MX existence/sanity
> > only.
>
> Nit pick: not only must it find an MX, it must also be able to find the
> IP addresses of the hosts to which the MXs point.

And if that IP is listed in the ignore_target_hosts configuration
then exim will fail the verification, which is nice.

I've been adding the more egregious SPEWS IP ranges, where they're
getting to be a nuisance to us, by CIDR notation to a file which is
called-out from ignore_target_hosts (viz. in addition to the usual
bogons list etc.), which means that any sender domain (even if not
itself blacklisted) which resolves to one of those IPs gets failed by
verify = sender.

Of course there might be a more transparent way of implementing that:
but it seems to work for us.

cheers