RE: [Exim] Exim Switch

Author: joe
To: Nigel Metheringham
CC: exim-users
Subject: RE: [Exim] Exim Switch
Thank you.

-----Original Message-----
From: Nigel Metheringham
[mailto:Nigel.Metheringham@dev.intechnology.co.uk]
Sent: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 9:50 AM
To: joe
Cc: exim-users@???

On Wed, 2004-06-30 at 14:32, joe wrote:
> Thank you. Please see inline for answers to your questions.

Please don't drop an ontopic thread off the list. Added exim-users back
into the Cc list, also quoting more fully than normal.

[From here onwards single level quoting shows my original reply to joe,
parts preceded by a group of dashes are joe's responses to me]

> You really shouldn't install an exim 3.x nowadays. It will simply
> cause you future pain when you have to upgrade it. Plus no one here
> can remember exim 3.x so you will get little help.
>
> -----Thank you I will upgrade.

> > 1) I can not seem to configure Exim to Relay internally when Exim is

> > placed on the Outside.
>
> I don't understand the problem here - is the exim box on one network,
> on 2, does it see the internal one as real addresses or NAT? Need
> more information.
> ------ There is a NAT configuration and I just change the point so
> that the email will be delivered to the Exim box instead of the

Exchange Box.
> At that point I need to be able to forward all Exchange domain email
> to it through Exim.

OK, NAT router, 2 (or more) boxes behind it. Exim will be the target of
port forwarding through the NAT. You can do relay control based on the
originating address (relay by host - can't remember the syntax now)
since exim should see external port forwarded connections as having a
non-local address.

> > 2) When I add a domain to relay for, *anyone* can relay which sets
> > this up as a Spam box, not what I had in mind.
>
> More explanation of the problem please. Exim v4 has much better
> control here.
> ------- When I add an entry to the domain_relay = it allows anyone to
> relay through my Exim. I think that I will upgrade to 4, in this case.

Basically you should never do relaying based on sender domain - its
trivial to get round. Do relay control based on host address and/or
authenticated SMTP.

> > 4) Should I
> > upgrade to Exim 4 and if I do will the configurations have to change

> > for the above.
>
> Yes, and yes, but convert4r4 does most of it.
> ------------- So I can just run the convert4r4 and this will upgrade
> to Exim 4 for me or do I need to do an apt-get?

Get exim4 first (some of the debian folks can tell you more on that than
I can), then use convert4r4 to transform your old exim 3 config file to
a first attempt at a exim 4 config. It will need some tweaking.

    Nigel.