Re: [Exim] bounce mail not dropped

Author: Dennis Davis
To: Daniel Tiefnig
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] bounce mail not dropped
>From: Daniel Tiefnig <exim@???>
>To: Exim Users <exim-users@???>
>Subject: [Exim] bounce mail not dropped
>Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 17:27:38 +0200
>
>Hej,
>
>I have lots of Mails lying around in the spool of one of my Mail Boxes,
>and exim does not discard a bounce from around March(!). (And many
>others.) Delivery just gets deferred all the time.

>exim Version is:
># exim -bV
>Exim version 4.30 #1 built 10-Feb-2004 12:23:27
>Copyright (c) University of Cambridge 2003
>Berkeley DB: Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 3.3.11: (July 12, 2001)
>Support for: iconv()
>Lookups: lsearch wildlsearch nwildlsearch dbm dmbnz mysql
>Authenticators:
>Routers: accept dnslookup ipliteral manualroute queryprogram redirect
>Transports: appendfile autoreply pipe smtp
>Fixed never_users: 0
>Contains exiscan-acl patch revision 14 (c) Tom Kistner
>[http://duncanthrax.net/exiscan/]
>Configuration file is /usr/exim/configure
>

>Any ideas?

You're running exim 4.30. Upgrade to exim 4.34. ChangeLog 4.31/79
reads:

79. The ultimate address timeout was not being applied to errors that involved
    a combination of host plus message (for example, a timeout on a MAIL
    command). When an address resolved to a number of possible hosts, and they
    were not all tried for each delivery (e.g. because of hosts_max_try), a
    message could remain on the queue longer than the retry timeout.