Re: [Exim] freezing a set on mails

Autor: Dennis Davis
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] freezing a set on mails
>From: Jeff Lasman <blists@???>
>To: exim-users@???
>Subject: Re: [Exim] freezing a set on mails
>Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 09:22:19 -0700
>
>On Thursday 24 June 2004 01:27 am, Michael Fischer v. Mollard wrote:
>
>> When I'm in panic mode I do something like
>>
>> for i in `grep -l ^badaddress *-H`; do mv ${i/-H/-D} SOMEOTHERDIR; mv
>> $i SOMEOTHERDIR ; done
>>
>> in the queue directory, which is rude, but working. Not actually
>> freezing, but you may move them to the spool again later.
>
>So you can do this with exim, eh?

Yes, it can be very useful. Set localhost_number to a unique value
on a group of exim servers. Then you can merge queues on machines
knowing that there's no chance that messages on one queue will
overwrite messages on another. This is useful when you want to take
down a server for an upgrade. You can just move the queue onto
another server.

>I tried it once under qmail and broke everything.
>
>So I'm always a bit cautious.

Messages on qmail's queue have the same name as their inode number.
Inode numbers are unique, so this is a way of getting unique message
names. If you move qmail messages around, you're almost certain
to destroy the link between the message name and its inode number.
Which can be something of a disaster. You'll need to use something
like Eric Huss's queue-fix utility which can rename the message
files to match their inodes.

Blimey, I'm commenting on qmail and I've never used the software...I
must get a life...