Re: [Exim] quota_warn_threshold specifics

Página Principal
Apagar esta mensagem
Responder a esta mensagem
Autor: Christian Balzer
Para: exim-users
Assunto: Re: [Exim] quota_warn_threshold specifics
Eli wrote:
>Christian Balzer wrote:
>>> Philip wrote:
>>>
>>> The documentation makes it clear that this is
>>> only possible for single-file mailboxes.
>>>
>> Any plans on making this work with maildir? I know it's a fairly
>> complex mess, but it would be a nice thing to have, at the least
>> (I/O) expense
>> of course.
>
>Maybe an option of setting an expandable string that defines a file to check
>the read time of to determine the last account access time? You'd have to
>then get support in the POP3/IMAP program to touch the file every time the
>account is checked, but it would be a start at least? Besides, if it's an
>expandable string, you could just make a wrapper program that could scan a
>directory for the newest read time on a file or something - would suck for
>performance but you'd have the ability to use the quota retry stuff. Or
>heck, you could store something in a database and retrieve that for the last
>access time.

While I'm certain that I could get a patch for such a helper file into
the IMAP/POP3 server of my choice the point is rather mute if Philip
has no plans in that area.
The logic would be rather straightforward, one just defines a
"maildir_age_file" and exim would treat it like a mailbox file when
determining the most recent access.

>> I know that the maildirsize gets rewritten every 15 minutes if the
>> mailbox is full, as a re-count is enforced. So it's not the correct
>> place to base a decision on, aside from the little detail that it's
>> optional to boot. If there was a way (maybe with an additional helper
>> file) to record the fact that nothing actually changed (used
>> space/number of files) for whatever period of time, exim could base
>> it's decision on that.
>>
>> Failing that, the newest file in "maildir/new" would be a valid
>> choice, because obviously nobody looked at this mailbox with a client
>> since that date.
>
>That would cost a bit of time - exponentially more based on how many files
>they have in there that would need scanning.

Ah, but you are forgetting one little detail here.
Exim has to scan/stat already the WHOLE maildir directory tree each time
it attempts a delivery (or every 15 minutes with maildirsize support once
the quota is exceeded) to determine the the state of affairs, size wise.
Thus determining the ages of all files (or of course preferably that of
a well defined specific file) would be no additional penalty, at least
not in the I/O department.

Regards,

Christian Balzer
--
Christian Balzer        Network/Systems Engineer                NOC
chibi@???       Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Network Services