Re: [Exim] Retry Times for Bounce Messages

Página Principal
Apagar esta mensagem
Responder a esta mensagem
Autor: Matt Hubbard
Para: exim-users, ph10
Assunto: Re: [Exim] Retry Times for Bounce Messages
Philip Hazel wrote:

>>I've found that "ignore_bounce_errors_after" doesn't appear to work for
>>short time periods, e.g. "2h". I see frozen error messages that are 12
>>hours and older when this setting is set to "2h".
>
> NOTE: This feature applies only to hard failures. If your bounce message
> is getting temporary errors (connection failed, etc), it is treated like
> any other message.

The frozen bounce messages seem to be being picked up and discarded
after about 6 hours, I'm happy with this.

I think the longer times I was seeing were related to the queue runners
taking time to get through the back log of soft-errors. They aren't
taking so much time now as I have recently put in a "lose_bounces"
router similar to the one you suggested.

>>On a related note, as a potential wish list item. Would it be possible
>>to specify "retry rules" by sender (specifically the null sender '<>')?
>

> Noted.

Thanks!

>>I have problems with bounce messages that do not get hard errors on
>>delivery attempt accumulating on my mail queues. Ideally, I'd like to
>>specify retry rules and give up on sending any kind of bounce after a
>>certain time period.
>

> Aha! So they aren't hard errors.

It was both hard and soft errors. The hard seemed to linger longer than
the "ignore after" setting and the soft were just accumulating, slowing
down the queue-runners. I'm now dropping old bounces with a router and
things are much happier.

Cheers,
Matt.