RE: [Exim] AOL - SPF - and EXIM

Author: Jethro R Binks
To: exim-users
Subject: RE: [Exim] AOL - SPF - and EXIM
On Wed, 16 Jun 2004, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> > Still, if I used the PTR for the server's HELO I would make a mistake,
> > as the only name that really identifies that host is the FQDN that
> > belongs to my domain, as I administer the server, not my ISP.
>
> Your host's name _is_ "dsl-217-155-139-146.zen.co.uk".

> (I think zen.co.uk is rather stupid to assign such generic dynamic-like
> hostnames to static address assignments, but I guess we can't expect
> everyone to be perfect! :-)

I'll defend Zen here to a certain extent. They do provide these static
addresses with these sorts of names by default; however they will on
request alter the reverse DNS for these to point them to any existing DNS
name. I have the details sent recently by email if anyone is affected and
interested. Zen also put the name of the end user in WHOIS for these
static assignments, further adding to the accountability criteria some
people like.

As far as my experience with UK ISPs goes, I consider Zen to be one of the
most creditable.

At least (some of) these static addresses from Zen aren't listed in SORBS'
'dynamic address' listings, unlike many other ISPs' similar ranges.

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks
Computing Officer, IT Services
University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK