Re: [Exim] Matching bounce recipients against sender hashes

Author: Tor Slettnes
To: Tony Finch
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Matching bounce recipients against sender hashes
On Jun 13, 2004, at 15:01, Tony Finch wrote:

> $local_part and $local_part_suffix apply to recipient (i.e. local)
> addresses. You should not be assuming anything about the structure of
> local parts at mail domains outside your control. This also applies to
> Dennis Davis's comments about MMDF and Sendmail (to which list I would
> add
> qmail). The various proposed standards for signed sender addresses
> usually
> involve a special token in the local part (as well as whatever extra
> syntax is necessary) to make them less likely to clash with existing
> local
> parts.

Anyway, I was wrong. Exim's "local_part_suffix" is available only as a
router precondition, and has no meaning in ACLs (which is where I do
the greylisting). Thus, as it turns out, when I use
$local_part@$domain for greylisting purposes, I *am* supplying the
entire argument to the "RCPT TO:" command.

Despite using the "=" character repeatedly in the return_path of
outgoing mails, I believe I am not causing any conflicts with MMDF,
Sendmail, QMail -- it is simply a sender address as far as these are
concerned.

-tor