Re: [Exim] AOL - SPF - and EXIM

Author: Fred Viles
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] AOL - SPF - and EXIM
On 9 Jun 2004 at 21:40, Avleen Vig wrote about
    "Re: [Exim] AOL - SPF - and EXIM":

| I've often wondered why we (as a community) don't have different rules
| for dealing with bounces, than real mail.

Legitimate bounces *are* real mail (IMHO).

| I'm not sure how we could do it, but make the MX generating the bounce
| do some kind of check to see if:
| a) the domain wants to accept bounces
| b) if this particular mail should have a bounce sent based on several
| criteria

??? The MTA generating the bounce *does* do those checks, in effect,
simply by attempting to deliver the bounce.

I guess you're suggesting some kind of SPF-style TXT records
indicating that bounces are unwanted? But you'd have to implement
the rejection logic anyway, so ISTM there's not much value (from the
bouncing MTA's point of view) in checking for such records.

- Fred