Re: [Exim] acl to reject clients

Página Principal
Apagar esta mensagem
Responder a esta mensagem
Autor: Jethro R Binks
Para: exim-users
Assunto: Re: [Exim] acl to reject clients
On Wed, 9 Jun 2004, TN wrote:

> I have been asked by a firm for whom I installed exim for to block
> certain email clients from being used when sending email. They want this
> for license compliance to force their staff to stop using clients for
> which they don't own licenses (ie. outlook, lotus notes etc). I
> suggested that they just enforce it, but staff tend to install whatever
> they feel like without the management's knowledge (they don't have an
> admin, I'm it and only ask me to do work irregularly, so I have no
> control either)
>
> Is this possible, and how is this done ? I presume its possible by
> inspecting the User-Agent but I don't think outlook express sends this,
> and I imagine they would still like their staff to use OE.

Clients don't send any sort of identifying string, although perhaps other
characteristics or tricks may be employed to divine some of them, it's not
worth it.

However, it isn't your problem. If the management knows people are
installing software willy-nilly, then they have far bigger problems than
people using different email clients. This is a policy issue, not a
technical one, and the management need to tackle it through policy,
auditing, and discipline.

If management know people are running unlicensed software and aren't doing
anything about it, they themselves are probably in legal hot water and are
probably liable. If you know that, but they don't, then point it out to
them, it should help concentrate their efforts on more effective measures.

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks
Computing Officer, IT Services
University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK