Re: [Exim] Rewrite rules not applied to unqualified addresse…

Author: Tore Anderson
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Rewrite rules not applied to unqualified addresses in headers?
* Tore Anderson

> But why, then, doesn't the 'w' flag change this? As I read the
> specification that should make the rewrite rule apply to the entire
> header, not only the address part..?

* Philip Hazel

> w applies rewriting to a whole RFC (2)822 address, not the whole header.
> An unqualified local part is not a syntactically valid RFC (2)822
> address.

Aha. That explains it. Thanks. Would've been nice with a flag to
match the entire header, then .. wink wink nudge nudge .. ;-)

* Tore Anderson

> During my foiled testing of the rewrite facilities I noticed
> something strange I thought you might be interested in. If I set
> headers_rewrite in a transport, the From header will automatically
> be qualified with qualify_domain - even if the rewrite rule doesn't
> match!

* Philip Hazel

> From the manual (see the second para):
>
> 44.10 The From: header line
>
> If a locally-generated incoming message does not contain a From: header
> line, [...]

> For compatibility with Sendmail, if an incoming, non-SMTP message has
> a From: header line containing just the unqualified login name [...]

Sorry I didn't say so; both the test messages was delivered over
SMTP from another host, and made it into the spool without any rewriting
taking place - it happens as the message is delivered. So neither of
these really explains why the rewriting happens, even before taking into
the account that it happens only if headers_rewrite is set in the
transport, which makes it even more of a mystery to me.

--
Tore Anderson