Re: [Exim] spool over NFS?

Author: Scott Call
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] spool over NFS?
On Tue, 1 Jun 2004, Ray Jackson wrote:

> Apologies from starting a new thread - my last one kinda died :(
>
> I've read differing opinions on this issue... Can I have a quick 'yes' or 'no'
> answer - is it safe to have a dedicated mount point for a mail spool per server
> over NFS (we use a NetApp FAS270's) using Exim 4.34? Will it be safe for NFS
> locking etc.?

The "old adage" that if more than one server will be accessing the mail
spool, mbox is problematic.

If it's one machine running exim and also running the pop3/imap4/etc
servers you should be able to get away with it.

If you're running multiple servers and want a shared spool on NFS, I'd
recommend investigating maildir instead of mbox for storage.

-s