[Exim] sender verify always says remote host address is the …

Author: mark david mcCreary
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] sender verify always says remote host address is the local host
I'm running Exim 4.34 on a Debian Woody Linux box.

The ACL that tries to verify the sender address always returns "remote
host address is the local host".

    deny  ! verify  = sender

For example,

2004-05-28 15:42:17 H=nl-mail5.internet.com [64.62.164.185] sender
verify defer for <newsletter@???>: remote host address is
the local host

2004-05-28 15:42:17 H=nl-mail5.internet.com [64.62.164.185]
F=<newsletter@???> temporarily rejected RCPT
<mdm@???>: Could not complete sender verify

If I lookup in DNS - nl-mail5.internet.com, I get 64.62.164.185

If I lookup MX records for   nl.internet.com, I get
    nl-mail1.internet.com.
    nl-mail2.internet.com.

If I look up the A record for nl-mail1.internet.com, I get
64.62.164.181

I can ping 64.62.164.181 ok.

That looks legitimate and coupled with the fact that every email
defers, leads me to believe that the problem is not on "their" end.

My DNS resolver seems to be working (I can ping other domain names and
my email gets delivered to other machines), and the Exim error message
is "remote host address is the local host" seems to indicate that my
DNS resolver is at least doing something other than timing out.

The relevant parts of my Exim Configuration looks like

acl_smtp_rcpt = check_recipient

acl_smtp_data = check_message

domainlist local_domains = @ : @[] :
partial-cdb;/etc/exim/aliases.local.cdb

domainlist relay_domains =
partial-cdb;/etc/exim/aliases.relay_domain.cdb

addresslist specific_alias = cdb;/etc/exim/aliases.specific.cdb

hostlist my_machines = 192.168.1.0/24

accept_8bitmime

allow_domain_literals

allow_mx_to_ip

auto_thaw = 3h

check_log_inodes = 100

check_log_space = 10M

check_spool_inodes = 100

check_spool_space = 10M

delay_warning = 0s

queue_only_load = 4

deliver_queue_load_max = 5

delivery_date_remove

#bounce_message_file = "/etc/exim/error_msg_template"

freeze_tell = "mdm@???"

host_lookup = *

ignore_bounce_errors_after = 0s

log_selector = +address_rewrite          \
               +arguments                \
               -delay_delivery           \
               +delivery_size            \
               +lost_incoming_connection \
               -queue_run                \
               +received_recipients      \
               +received_sender          \
               -retry_defer              \
               +sender_on_delivery       \
               +size_reject              \
               -skip_delivery            \
               +smtp_confirmation        \
               +smtp_connection          \
               +smtp_syntax_error        \
               +subject

lookup_open_max = 199

message_body_visible = 2500

message_id_header_text = "${tod_log}"

message_logs = false

message_size_limit = 50000000

never_users = root

prod_requires_admin = false

queue_list_requires_admin = false

queue_run_max = 15

queue_only

queue_run_in_order

receive_timeout = 60s

received_header_text = "Received: \
    ${if def:sender_rcvhost {from ${sender_rcvhost}\n\t}\
    {${if def:sender_ident {from ${sender_ident} }}\
    ${if def:sender_helo_name {(helo=${sender_helo_name})\n\t}}}}\
    by ${primary_hostname} \
    ${if def:received_protocol { with ${received_protocol}}} \
    (Exim ${version_number} #${compile_number})\n\t\
    id ${message_id} \
    ${if def:received_for {\n\tfor $received_for}}"

received_headers_max = 30

remote_max_parallel = 5

retry_interval_max = 12h

retry_data_expire = 2d

return_path_remove

return_size_limit = 2500

smtp_accept_max = 60

smtp_accept_max_per_host = 15

smtp_accept_queue = 15

smtp_accept_queue_per_connection = 15

smtp_accept_reserve = 5

smtp_banner = "ESMTP Exim ${version_number} #${compile_number}
${tod_full}"

no_smtp_check_spool_space

smtp_connect_backlog = 50

smtp_load_reserve = 5

smtp_receive_timeout = 2m

smtp_reserve_hosts = my_machines : \
    127.0.0.0/24

spool_directory = /var/spool/exim_incoming

strip_excess_angle_brackets

strip_trailing_dot

trusted_users = "mail"

begin acl

check_recipient:

  accept  local_parts   = hostmaster : postmaster : abuse
          domains       = +local_domains : +relay_domains

  deny    ! verify  = sender
          delay   = 59s

accept domains = +local_domains

  deny    message = relay not permitted

check_message:

   drop   condition    =  ${if >{$rcpt_count}{4} {yes}{no}}
          message      =  Too many receipients for one email message
          delay        = 59s

accept

begin routers

defer_router:
driver = manualroute
route_list = * 127.0.0.1 byname
self = defer

lookuphost:
driver = dnslookup
domains = ! +local_domains
verify_only
transport = smtp

literal:
driver = ipliteral
verify_only
transport = smtp

begin transports

smtp:
driver = smtp

This Exim configuration simply drops email into a queue, where
Mailscanner verifies things and moves it to another Exim queue for
delivery.

If I comment this stanza out

  deny    ! verify  = sender
          delay   = 59s

things work normally.

Scanning the mail archives, I don't see where anybody else has ever
complained of this error, so I must have screwed things up fairly
uniquely.

My understanding is that verify = sender will make sure that I can at
least return a bounce message to the envelope sender address.

I've tried some other variations like require verify = sender, without
any improvement.

Does anybody see where I am going wrong ?

Thanks

mark