Re: [Exim] dual redundant server setup

Author: Giuliano Gavazzi
To: Chris Huff, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] dual redundant server setup
At 1:41 pm -0700 2004/05/28, Chris Huff wrote:
>I want to install a more redundant exim setup at work. Im not sure
>about one thing though. If I want dual email servers running at the
>same time behind firewall or just on the internet, do I have to make
>the MX record for both of them weighted the same?
>
>eg: mail1.me.com will be set at 10 and mail2.me.com will be set at 10 as well?
>
>;; ANSWER SECTION:
>me.com.            1H IN MX        10 mail1.me.com.
>me.com.            1H IN MX        10 mail2.me.com.

>That way exim will not think the higher numbered server is a backup.
>So either MTA will deliver / relay mail as normal. And if one goes
>down I still have one delivering / relaying mail??

the MX records have only indirectly to do with what exim thinks...
exim will store what is local, and relay (to the other MX) what it
accepts but is not local. If you want redundancy presumably you want
to have both servers store mail for the same domains (and keep each
other in synch). This is not trivial but can be done. In this case I
would maintain a hierarchy nevertheless, with a preferred MX.

Giuliano