Re: [Exim] exiscan-acl-4.24-22 - SPF support

Author: David Woodhouse
To: Fred Viles
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] exiscan-acl-4.24-22 - SPF support
On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 08:44 -0700, Fred Viles wrote:
> As an argument, that makes no sense. By definition, publishing SPF
> records explicitly denies permission to redirect messages. You say a
> domain owner has no right to withhold permission because "it is
> reasonable to assume" he is actually granting permission?

Perhaps I phrased it badly.

I mean to say that it makes as much sense for the domain owner to do
that as it makes for me to object to the exim.org listserver using my
address in the From: headers of the mail it's just about to send out.

If I don't want the exim.org listserver to use my address, I can refrain
from sending mail to the list. It doesn't make sense to do so and then
whinge that I didn't want it using my address.

> How foolish it may be to publish such a restriction is a different
> issue, on which we agree.

Indeed, and my original point was that it's also irresponsible to give
the naïve administrator a simple example of how to _obey_ such a foolish
restriction. Which is what Tom's example is.

--
dwmw2