Re: [Exim] exiscan-acl-4.24-22 - SPF support

Author: David Woodhouse
To: Fred Viles
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] exiscan-acl-4.24-22 - SPF support
On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 04:56 -0700, Fred Viles wrote:
> | Because they have no right to make that request.
>
> The administrator (and by proxy, owner) of a domain has no right to
> determine how it is used? That strikes me as an extreme view.

OK, let me put it another way. By sending mail by SMTP, it is reasonable
to assume that the sender grants permission for SMTP servers to do what
SMTP servers have done for decades -- to forward the mail elsewhere with
the reverse-path intact.

It is no more reasonable to claim "you may not use my domain in the
reverse-path when forwarding email from me" than it is to claim "you may
not use my domain in the From: header when forwarding email from me" and
start declaring mailing lists broken because they preserve the From:
header.

These nutters can claim whatever they like -- but what I'm suggesting to
Tom is that he shouldn't encourage _recipients_ to pay any attention to
them.

--
dwmw2