Re: [Exim] Outlook Express 6 is not authenticating TLS smtp …

Author: Wakko Warner
To: Marques Johansson
CC: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Outlook Express 6 is not authenticating TLS smtp sessions
> I had turned off "SSL" prior to my test send for another test. When I
> turned SSL back on in OE6, and put the "server_advertise_condition" back
> in for plain_salsauthd and login, everything worked perfectly. OE6 did
> a STARTTLS, then EHLO and AUTH LOGIN.

I figured it would work this way. I know M$ products are brain dead, but I
didn't think it was that brain dead =)

> Are there any other AUTH types for which I can use plain system
> authentication? I don't want a second source for passwords. Using
> "/usr/sbin/saslauthd -a pam" I was able to get plain and LOGIN working
> - is CRAM-MD5 or SPA (NTLM) possible without a clear text password
> available? Any Others?

If you don't have the clear text password handy, CRAM-MD5 and SPA will not
work. They use a challenge responce method. cram-md5 basically works like
this:
server sends a string.
the client takes that string and the password through hmac algorythm using
md5. Then it takes the username a space and the string, base64 encodes and
passes back to the server. The server does the same thing. If the result
doesn't match, it doesn't work.