Re: [Exim] New HELO check suite

Author: Tor Slettnes
To: Andrew - Supernews
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] New HELO check suite
On May 25, 2004, at 16:47, Andrew - Supernews wrote:

> This is not true if the dnsdb lookup fails due to timeout or SERVFAIL.
> In that case, the entire expansion is aborted and the acl defers.
> There is no way to override this behaviour, except (for 4.33 and
> later) to do the expansion in a "warn" statement.

Oh. Now I see. :-}
Sorry for the confusion.

> Test your configuration by finding a hostname that gives SERVFAIL when
> you try and resolve it; use it in the HELO parameter of a -bh test, and
> post the results here.

Actually I probably benefit from your patch, because I actually have
this condition inside a "warn" block. (I don't reject the mail right
away, instead I set $acl_m0 and impose 20s delays in every ACL until
finally rejecting the mail after DATA).

That said, maybe it is _desirable_ to give 451 responses to hosts that
HELO using unresolvable names... :-/

-tor