Re: [Exim] Yahoo DomainKeys...

Autor: Nigel Metheringham
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Yahoo DomainKeys...
On Thu, 2004-05-20 at 16:03, Jim Trigg wrote:
> On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 10:49:41AM -0400, Ring, John C wrote:
> > that do not change the content or RE-ARRANGE or POST-PEND headers will be
> > DomainKey compatible with no changes required. Mailing lists that CHANGE THE
> > MESSAGE AND HEADERS should re-sign the message with their own private key
> > and claim authorship of the message." (emphasis added)
> >
> > Don't most mailing lists[1] and/or forwarding setups made such changes? If
> > so, without changes, this proposal also breaks a lot of currently working
> > setups. So in that regard, both proposals seem approximately even.
>
> Most mailing lists do; most forwarding setups do not. I'm not sure
> whether most mailing lists use an envelope sender of the original sender
> or the mailing list; if the latter then there should be no problem.

No sane (ie RFC compliant) mailing list uses an envelope sender of the
original sender - if they did the original sender would get all the
bounces and so the MLM would be unable to do things like bounce
management - and the list members would quickly get pissed off at the
weird bounces they received.

Some MLMs modify the From: header, some do not (or they may change the
header depending on the role they are playing). To a large degree it
depends on the type of list - on this list messages are definitely
associated with the author, on an announce type list it might be
preferable to make the list itself be the origin of messages.

    Nigel.