Re: [Exim] BACKUP smart host?

Autor: Matthew Byng-Maddick
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] BACKUP smart host?
On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 01:14:00PM -0600, Dan Egli wrote:
> Matthew Byng-Maddick wrote:
>> If you are "knowingly running a mail server", then IMO, you should knowingly
>> be running it on an IP address with a reasonable reverse DNS, and where your
>> IP addresses don't have the potential to move around every 7 days.
> Tell me how to make my cable company give me a reverse DNS pointer or a
> static IP and I'll do exactly as you say. Else I have to make due with
> what I have.

If you can't run a mailserver in a reasonable and responsible way with what
you have, why should I (or anyone else on the internet) accept mail from
you? Many have suggested the authenticated smarthosts which are not linked
to your provider. Why not use one of those? As well as which, you *HAVE* a
provider smarthost, and you're not using that.

As far as I'm concerned, a reasonable reverse DNS and a static IP address,
which has appropriate contact details in the relevant whois databases for
the netblock containing it is almost certainly a pre-requisite for emitting
mail.

MBM

--
Matthew Byng-Maddick          <mbm@???>           http://colondot.net/