Re: [Exim] BACKUP smart host?

Autor: Andreas Metzler
A: exim-users
CC: Odhiambo G. Washington
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] BACKUP smart host?
On 2004-05-17 "Odhiambo G. Washington" <wash@???> wrote:
> * Dan Egli <dan@???> [20040517 07:35]: wrote:
> > Question for you all.

> > Is there a way I can setup Exim so that it tries to send a message
> > directly, and failing that (4xx or 5xx received) it sends to a specified
> > host (aka smart host)?

> I believe the answer is YES.

No, it is not. ;-)

> > The type of logic I want is this:
> >
> > message to a@???, c@???, and e@???
> >
> > send to b.com's MX -> OK
> > Send to d.com's MX -> 550 Dynamic IPS not welcome
> > send message for c@??? to SMART.COM -> ok
> > send to f.com's MX -> 550 Dynamic IPS not welcome
> > send message for e@??? to SMART.COM -> ok
> >
> > If that is possible please tell me how. I can figure ways to do a smart
> > host, but I cannot see a way to have a message tried again if a
> > transport fails using a different transport.

> Read about fallback_hosts in spec.txt.

[...]

If the remote party throws an 550 error the mail will bounce.
fallback_hosts is only used for temporary errors.

"If Exim is unable to deliver to any of the hosts for a particular
address, and the errors are not permanent rejections,..."

Dan, please consult the list-archives for details and rationale.
            cu andreas
fuhggvat qbja gur juveyvat tha.
Neal Stephenson in "Snow Crash"