[Exim] delay after DATA

Author: Chris Edwards
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] delay after DATA
( was Re: [Exim] FW: Defending Against Rumplestiltskin Attacks??? )

On Thu, 13 May 2004, Matt Bernstein wrote:

| No no no Mr RFC.. Delays after DATA are working just fine on our mailer.
| Yes there is a chance of duplicate mail iff the client MTA doesn't
| follow RFC2821. 20s is well under 10m, and all MTAs ought to be
| well-connected.

10 min may be the max allowed. However, RFC 1047 expects you to minimise
delay at this stage:

"receiving mailers should acknowledge the final dot as soon as possible"

...advice which applies just as much today, what with spam/virus scanning
during the DATA stage etc. That said, if you aren't experiencing problems
with duplicate messages, then it won't be doing much harm.

However, I simply can't see what benefit this brings. The spammer has
already sent the spam. I'd *love* to know exactly how you tell if the
spammer has "gone away", in order to ditch the message ??

Chris

--
Chris Edwards, Glasgow University Computing Service