RE: [Exim] A couple things before I start my Exim migration

Author: Mike 'Fraz' White
To: 'Tom Wiebe Lists', exim-users
Subject: RE: [Exim] A couple things before I start my Exim migration
First things first I'm no expert but I'll throw a few suggestions in :-)

--
Mike 'Fraz' White
www.smartowner.co.uk

---8<---

> SpamTraps - SIMS allows you to designate certain addresses as spamtrap
> addresses and any host sending email to one of these addresses (which

> disseminate widely) blacklists the sending server for a short time. A
> simple yet remarkably effective anti-spam measure. Is there a way to

do
> this on Exim. I believe Stalker's CommunigatePro does this as well.

I don't actually do this but given that exim4.* allows you to reference
flat text files from the main config (saving you having to HUP exim)
then you could possibly write something that tails the main_log for
mails being received at specific addresses then adds those IPs to a
'hosts_deny' list that could be referenced in the check recipient ACL
eg:

#!!# ACL that is used after the RCPT command
check_recipient:
  accept  hosts = :
  discard hosts = /etc/exim/hosts_deny
  discard dnslists = /etc/exim/dnslists
  require verify = sender
  discard message = unrouteable address
         !verify = recipient
  accept  domains = +local_domains
  accept  domains = +relay_domains
  accept  hosts = +relay_hosts
  deny    message = relay not permitted

> Blocking Address Harvesters - When an attempt to send email to a

number
> of invalid addresses is made, the sending server is temporarily
> blacklisted by SIMS. Another simple, and effective anti-spam measure.

sorry no suggestions here

> Throwaway email addresses - I have a router entry in SIMS that will
> send any email addressed to user.<whatever>@domain.com to
> user@??? on the server. I use this extensively to sign up for
> stuff and, if the address gets abused, can route it to error and I've
> blocked a bunch more spam. I've tried using an alias for this, to no
> avail, thinking this is likely a router? Any pointers in setting this
> up would be most helpful.

You should be able to use the standard aliases file which is what I've
used, accepts 'foo.bar: /dev/null' quite happily. Have you checked your
eximconfig tomake sure you're editing the correct aliases file & not
possibly one created/used by a different MTA ?

system_aliases:
driver = redirect
allow_defer
allow_fail
data = ${lookup{$local_part}lsearch{/etc/exim/aliases}}
file_transport = address_file
pipe_transport = address_pipe
retry_use_local_part

Or are you actually using wildcard entries? In which case you could try
adding:

catchall:
driver = redirect
data = ${lookup{$local_part}lsearch*{/etc/exim/aliases.wild}}
file_transport = address_file
pipe_transport = address_pipe

I use it as a simple catchall to redirect unknown users to a specific
mailbox but I'm sure you could use it tobe more specific.