Re: [Exim] smtp_active_hostname

Author: Philip Hazel
To: gARetH baBB
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] smtp_active_hostname
On Wed, 12 May 2004, gARetH baBB wrote:

> hick@stum:~$ telnet stum.local smtp
> Trying 10.1.1.84...
> Connected to stum.local.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 220 stum.gink.org ESMTP Exim 4.34 Wed, 12 May 2004 10:33:11 +0100
> HELO stum.local
> 250 stum.local Hello stum.local [10.1.1.84]
>
> So it's derived the lookup for smtp_active_hostname for the HELO response,
> but not the primary greeting.

you have not shown your smtp_active_hostname setting, but when I do
something similar in my tests, it behaves differently, using the active
host name in the 250 response. So something is different. Have you tried
running the daemon in debug mode to try to check this?

> It also doesn't seem to be using the smtp_active_hostname for the
> *outgoing* EHLO.

The outgoing ehlo command is controlled by the helo_data option of the
smtp transport.