Re: [Exim] Advice - Building mail platform from scratch

Author: Tony Finch
To: Ray Jackson
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Advice - Building mail platform from scratch
On Wed, 12 May 2004, Ray Jackson wrote:

> Also, if anybody has any advice on migration techniques I would welcome
> your thoughts. We have 70,000+ mailboxes to migrate to the new platform.
> The format of the messages is very simple 'singlefile'
> (timestamp.id.hostname;pid). I need to get them moved to Maildir format
> and of course I want as little down-time as possible... Are there any
> good migration tools I can use... And should I use a POP proxy?

Our migration was made significantly easier by the use of an IMAP/POP
proxy to direct connections to the old or new system depending on the
user. We have a locally-developed proxy, available from
    ftp://ftp.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/software/email/proxy/
An alternative would be to use the Perdition proxy, which has support for
more user database platforms.

--
Tony Finch <dot@???> http://dotat.at/