[Exim] Advice - Building mail platform from scratch

Author: Ray Jackson
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Advice - Building mail platform from scratch
Hi list,

This is quite a generic post - but I would welcome any feedback. We currently
run Exim 4.12 and a custom written POP3 daemon (which I want to get rid of
ASAP!) - and everything is driven from MySQL replica databases. We are
rebullding the entire mail platform and I am looking at using Exim and
Courier-IMAP/POP and Horde/IMP for Webmail. This is already working well with
a couple of patches for Courier to create mailboxes on login and change the
namespace from INBOX.xxx to the root folder. Now, I need to do the 'extras'
which are going to make the mail system rock ;) Currently we use a AV/spam
solution which sucks (runs on port 2525 and we route mail through it and then
back into Exim to scan email). I want to move away from this to Open Source
alternatives... Currently I'm looking at:

1. Anti-spam:   SpamAssassin vs. DSPAM? (or something else?)
2. Anti-Virus:  Which engine (we are looking at Sophos Sweep)
                and do I use Amavis or Exiscan (or something else?)
                If I choose Sophos - do I use Sophie?
3. Filters:     Sieve vs. Maildrop vs. Procmail?

I have a clean sheet... I have however chosen Courier/Maildir over Cyrus for
ease of installation management and lack of locking issues. I am however
interested to know peoples feelings on the AV/AS solution though. Also, if
anybody has any advice on migration techniques I would welcome your thoughts.
We have 70,000+ mailboxes to migrate to the new platform. The format of the
messages is very simple 'singlefile' (timestamp.id.hostname;pid). I need to
get them moved to Maildir format and of course I want as little down-time as
possible... Are there any good migration tools I can use... And should I use a
POP proxy?

Cheers,
Ray