Re: [Exim] Relaxing DNS checks

Author: John W. Baxter
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Relaxing DNS checks
On 5/8/2004 21:03, "Maykel Moya" <maykel.moya@???> wrote:

> Exim DNS checks are very restrictive. I just need to ensure that an A
> record exists for the incoming ip. How can I achieve that ?

We wrote a daemon, which Exim acls connect to with readsocket expansions
(when Philip's view of the sending host name is that it doesn't have one)
which does the sort of lookup we wanted. Exim's test was too strong for
several of our users who receive their mail through web space providers
where the name from the PTR record doesn't resolve to the original IP.

All we do with the result is add a header to the message "...noname:" which
we then use to add a SpamAssassin point to the score.

Philip's logic in designing what he did is pretty compelling (see the
extensive comment in the source code), and it seemed easier to work around
than to ask for a "fix" which is unlikely to be considered a fix.

--John