[Exim] More Re. Defending Against Rumplestiltskin Attacks

Author: Ilan Aisic
To: 'Tim Jackson', exim-users
Subject: [Exim] More Re. Defending Against Rumplestiltskin Attacks
Thanks for your suggestion.
I have another idea:
I'm checking the domain a message comes from during RCPT and rejects using the following 2 lines in my exim config:

deny message = Your host ($sender_host_address) was blocked by http://www.stearns.org/sa-blacklist/
hosts = partial()lsearch;/usr/exim/rejections/sa-blacklist.current.domains

However, the correctness of addressee name is checked earlier, probably before the RCPT command.
The documentation states that it's unwise to refuse connection before the RCPT because most MTA will retry few times.
But ratware usually doesn't retry. Therefore, I suggest that a bounce message on a "Unknown user" should only be sent
if the sender is not in a blacklist.
Has anyone done that? I'm not sure how to set this up without messing up my exim configuration.

Regards,

--
Ilan Aisic