Re: [Exim] maildir_use_size_file and zero quota (views sough…

Author: Anand Buddhdev
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] maildir_use_size_file and zero quota (views sought)
On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 02:49:46PM +0100, Philip Hazel wrote:

> An issue has arisen over the behaviour of Exim with maildirsize when
> quota=0. The ChangeLog for the most recent relevant changes says this:
>
>   19. Completely re-implemented the support for maildirsize files, in the
>       light of a number of problems with the previous contributed
>       implementation (4.30/29). In particular:

>       . If the quota is zero, the maildirsize file is maintained, but no
>         quota is imposed.

> I cannot remember who had problems with the earlier implementation, but
> clearly there was an issue with zero quotas at some time. There was a
> big discussion about maildirsize as well.

I looked at the exim-users archives and found this, which I think may
have been the reason you introduced that behaviour:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=exim-users&m=107175639726173&w=2

> Apparently, the Courier imap daemon does not treat 0 in the maildirsize
> file as "no quota", but as "zero quota", and what it wants is for there
> to be no maildirsize file when there is no quota. I have therefore been
> asked to change Exim's behaviour.

Now, this doesn't seem right. I'm using courier-imap 3.0.3 on my
servers, and it appears to treat 0 in the maildirsize file as "no
quota" and it doesn't enforce any quota. I am not a C programmer, but
a look at the source code of courier-imap seems to agree with my
observation. From file maildir/maildirquota.h:

struct maildirquota {
        off_t nbytes;   /* # of bytes, 0 - unlimited */
        int nmessages;  /* # of messages, 0 - unlimited */
};

> The change is not difficult, but in the light of the comment above, I do
> not want to do it without discussion. Are there other imap daemons
> and/or MUAs that require the maildirsize file when there is no quota?
> Can anyone remember the reason for wanting to maintain the maildirsize
> file when there is no quota?

However, courier-imap maintains the maildirsize file even if the quota
is 0, which is what exim also does. So I believe exim is correct and
there's no need to change it. Courier-imap's Maildir quota
implementation is, after all, the reference implementation.

--
Anand Buddhdev
Celtel International