[Exim] maildir_use_size_file and zero quota (views sought)

Author: Philip Hazel
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] maildir_use_size_file and zero quota (views sought)
An issue has arisen over the behaviour of Exim with maildirsize when
quota=0. The ChangeLog for the most recent relevant changes says this:

  19. Completely re-implemented the support for maildirsize files, in the
      light of a number of problems with the previous contributed
      implementation (4.30/29). In particular:

      . If the quota is zero, the maildirsize file is maintained, but no
        quota is imposed.

I cannot remember who had problems with the earlier implementation, but
clearly there was an issue with zero quotas at some time. There was a
big discussion about maildirsize as well.

Apparently, the Courier imap daemon does not treat 0 in the maildirsize
file as "no quota", but as "zero quota", and what it wants is for there
to be no maildirsize file when there is no quota. I have therefore been
asked to change Exim's behaviour.

The change is not difficult, but in the light of the comment above, I do
not want to do it without discussion. Are there other imap daemons
and/or MUAs that require the maildirsize file when there is no quota?
Can anyone remember the reason for wanting to maintain the maildirsize
file when there is no quota?

Should I implement an option for this case?

Philip