Re: [Exim] Shifting from qmail

Author: Tim Jackson
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Shifting from qmail
Hi [, on Sun, 9 May 2004 16:47:42 +0530 you wrote:

> > Exim can easily deliver to maildir, see...
> It's shared hosting, i dont think we can have Maildir for some mbox for
> the rest.

You can, if you want to. But why do you need to have anything in mbox? Why
not just have it all in maildir? Or by "shared hosting" do you mean you
don't have root access to the server? If so, that does *seriously* limit
your options, and changes the question from "how do I do this with Exim"
to "how do I do this within the options provided to me by my service
provider", which is quite a different question.

> Looks like plain text, the passwords are hashed, should be able to
> import onto the new server - just dont know where exim stores its
> passwords

Exim doesn't intrinsically have any passwords. What do you need the
passwords for, is it for SMTP AUTH relaying? If so, you can set Exim to
use the passwords from wherever you want.

> a> I n eed to figure where exim stores its user/passwords for mail users
> and what format

Exim doesn't have hard and fast rules about things like this. You can
store things wherever you like, and in whatever format you want, within
the scope of the (many) lookup types and expansions supported by Exim.

Tim