Re: [Exim] Meeting guidelines on Mail archiving / monitor

Author: Rory Campbell-Lange
To: Doug Block
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Meeting guidelines on Mail archiving / monitor
On 07/05/04, Doug Block (lists@???) wrote:
> I may have to archive all Mail that goes thru our exim 4.3X server to meet
> Government requirements (lawyers are still checking on it) is there good
> way to do this is exim.

You can use a system filter, or use a shadow delivery. The filter is
easy to set up; you have more options with the shadow delivery option.

    # router
    shadow_all:
      driver = accept
      transport = shadow_delivery
      unseen

    # transport
    shadow_delivery:
      debug_print = "T: shadow_delivery"
      driver = appendfile
      group = mail
      user = mail
      mode = 0660
      envelope_to_add = true
      directory=/home/mailbackup
      maildir_format

You'll have to do some playing about if you want subdirectories for
users (and make sure those are by local users...). Another approach is
simply to dump these into the backup directory in maildir_format as I
have done and delete the individual files periodically. What is great
about this approach is that you can surf a largish archive with mutt
fairly quickly.

I use the shadow delivery together with a system filter to do a custom
log of what is stored, to help with retrievals. You might want to append
the name of the message id to the stored file, though, to help you
key the logs to a file on disk in the maildir.

Another point to note is that you will get a copy for each recipient of
an outgoing mail in the archive.

Rory
--
Rory Campbell-Lange