Re: [Exim] Exim and Sieve rules

Author: Bruce Richardson
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim and Sieve rules
On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 12:58:17PM +1200, Ray Jackson wrote:
> I want to avoid building a complex cluster with heartbeat monitoring etc. or
> splitting our customer base up onto 2 mail stores... And then if we have to
> scale again, we have to split our users again?

This is somewhere that Cyrus scores heavily, as it allows you to add
new storage partitions at will.

> I'd rather focus on making
> our
> filer reliable and scalable rather than the mail system! I'm also afraid of
> going down the Cyrus path due to their 'proprietary' mail storage methods.
> Maildir may not be the most efficient storage method - but it's a lot
> easier to
> migrate between platforms in the future if we go down this road.

Not hugely. The backend mailsystem isn't necessarily relevant, given
that you can use imap tools to transfer messages from one system to
another.

> I don't want to turn this into Cyrus vs. Courier debate - I think both have
> their strengths - but it is important to me that we build a solution that
> will
> easily scale and will run itself with little or no maintenance.

Then you may have conflicting aims. Cyrus scales better than Courier
but requires more maintenance.

--
Bruce

It is impolite to tell a man who is carrying you on his shoulders that
his head smells.